Friday, July 07, 2006

Juneau, I really like this place.


Last night's flying session was a blast. I flew from Ketchikan to Juneau, tracking VOR's. I was challenged at one point by a VOR failure. Don't know if it was a FS bug, or simulated failure, or if there was some mistake on my part, but I couldn't get a directional reading. Fortunately the DME still operated, so I kept my heading and intercepted the next VOR when I got close to the first one. It added some satisfaction to the flight, having to work around a problem.


I also cut the fuel pretty close. OK, I admit it, I didn't really properly calculate how much fuel I should need, and plan accordingly. So in mid flight I started to get a little concerned. But it turns out I had enough to finish the journey (but not much in reserve, as you can see in the second screenshot if you look closely at the fuel gauge). As usually, I started my descent too late, and had to use full flaps to burn off a lot of altitude. Not too bright, especially considering the fuel concerns. I guess I have a lot to learn!

Anyway, the scenery was beautiful, as mentioned in yesterday's post. Once I got to Juneau, I decided to play a bit so I jumped into the Bellanca Scout, with tundra tires, and landed on a glacier! Interestingly, I could not come to a full stop. I don't know if the glacier is set up to mimic slippery ice, or whether the grade was too steep for the brakes to overcome. So, I throttled up and returned to Juneau Int'l.

No comments: