Saturday, May 20, 2006

What I'm flying lately


Thursday night is my official flying night. My wife works a shift on this night. I have a rehearsal until 9:00, but after that its 2 and a half hours of guilt-free flying.
I've been flying a lot in Rhode Island, thanks to a great scenery package from Flight Scenery. I have never paid for scenery before, but I broke down and got this one because I grew up in RI, and because it is so well done. I heartily recommend it.
I've also been flying Kirk Olsson's Sabre (pictured above), a fantastic model (and free) however I'm not that adept at flying this sort of plane. But its so nice to look at, and fun to try something different for a change. So I began my Thursday night flight this one from Logan airport to T.F. Green in Warwick, RI.
Then I got serious and switched to the Piper Warrior, a model from Just Flight. Another of my rare purchases, this is part of their Flight Club product, which includes 4 common general aviation planes as well as a detailed airport.
I spent the rest of the night tooling around the airports in RI, working on my realistic skills. (By realistic skills I mean skills that I might actually use if I pursued pilot training).

Then again, its fun to mess around sometimes. In the shot below, I am trying to fly an ultralight airplane out of one of Microsoft's goofs. The airport is sunk into a massive sinkhole. This is caused by a mismatch between the global terrain data and the particular airport's elevation data. To be fair to Microsoft, they give you practically every airport in the world, so if a few of them are messed up a little, its not a big deal.

By the way, I did suceed in getting out of the hole, then going back in for a safe landing. You can see more pictures from this flight here,
(at some point these pictures will be removed from that host).

No comments: